Monday, July 28, 2014

Of New Beginnings (Well, Mostly...)

Here's to my billionth attempt at keeping a semi-regular blog afloat.

A place to keep my thoughts.
A place to practice my writing skills, which I have let slip over the last couple of years.
A place that I won't be tempted to just reblog things.
A place for original content.

I mostly just need to do more creative things and not be complacent in a life that is the same day in and day out.

I need to read more
I need to write more
I need to draw more
I need to paint more

I need to live more.

Here is to the start of new beginnings
Here is to the start of great things
Here is to the start of a new me

I've changed so much over the course of the last few months. My dietary habits have changed pretty drastically as I've given up all animal products. My family and partner have been very supportive and I've lost about 25 lbs since going vegan almost 3 months ago. I feel better. While weight loss is a plus, it was not the reason for me going vegan. Before going vegan, I was basically a vegetarian but becoming lactose intolerant gave me the final push I needed to cut everything out. I also honestly love animals so I don't want to give any money to an industry that hurts any kind of animal. I figured if I get sad seeing dead animals on the side of the road, if I get sad seeing a leather couch, if I get sad seeing a wounded geese, it seemed hypocritical of me to be eating/using animal products.

Since I moved out on my own, I'm no longer obsessed with the number on the scale. I find myself being a more loving person. A better person. When I was living with my family, I was unhappy with myself because I was "never skinny enough" even at my lightest weight. After moving out to my own apartment I realized how toxic my environment had been, especially when I was living with my dad and my sister. I avoided mainstream media, I stopped reading magazines. I focused on loving myself. Tumblr played a huge role with helping me learn that my self worth is not related to my weight. My body is mine and mine alone. Tumblr also helped point out the other problematic views that I didn't even realize was wrong (though I do realize now.)

I'd like to the think that I'm always changing. My views will change as I get more information. My goal is to broaden my horizons and keep reading others points of view. I don't want to be closed minded like my dad. I don't want to be ignorant.

Here's my billionth attempt at keeping a semi-regular blog afloat. New doors are always opening in my life and I hope to be able to blog about them. We'll see where this adventure will take me.

No comments: